Sunday, January 17, 2010

No Habla Espanol

No, really I don’t speak Spanish! My need to quickly learn Spanish became apparent when I met with the women from the Latino aerobics class who rock out at JRC every Monday and Wednesday morning. We met after their class to discuss the adult mobile dental van program, answer their questions and process their paperwork. Thank God Pilar (on staff at JRC from Colombia) was available to rescue me!

Through the collaboration of Medical Teams International, we held the first adult dental clinic on January 8th at Jubilee REACH Center (JRC) and it was a huge success.

Even though the translator had three sick children and arrived late, God used the other patients to translate for each other. Only one patient didn’t come and the appointment was filled by the translator. She arrived just in time. We also squeezed in three patients waiting standby and saw a total of 19 patients.

I was so amazed at the eagerness and gratitude of those we served that day. As I watched patients arrive unsure about the whole situation, I saw them come out of the van with a smile on their face and a look of relief. Your prayer and financial support allows me to work with an incredible team from Medical Teams International and all of the tremendous professional dental volunteers. It was amazing to witness how they loved the people and cared for them so tenderly.

No comments:

Post a Comment